Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Polymer Clay

During this Circuit breaker period makes you look for a new skill, probably you want to get your hands on some craft that is easy to pick up without any prior experience. You can still purchase Clay online. There is different types of polymer clay that can be used for crafting. If you just want to pick up a new hobby that requires not much of investment . Consider air dry clay and after getting used to the materials and you wish to experiment on different types of Clay, its always not too late to venture more.

Modena is air dry clay, soft & flexible. Dries with translucent & waterproof. Virtually unbreakable. It can be used to create colored clay by mixing acrylic and oil paints. All paints and varnish are also accepted. Basically the clay requires no varnishing unless you need your work to look glossy or oily. 

It is ideal for making flowers, lamp shade with the translucent light, macaroon, and Japanese sweets called "Wagashi". It is non-toxic. You can use a bond or water to join the cured modena pieces.
Do not mix it with stone clays, oil clays, or wood formo.

【Caution】
Modena series clay contains high percentage of resin and it makes easier to be affected by the temperature. Therefore, Modena Series clays cannot be stocked in the condition of under 0 degree.
Proper storage temperature is 5-25 degree.








Modena 250grams Translucent Clay

There are definitely a lot of video tutorials out there on how to use clay to sculpt what you like.
Most of my works are miniature food and Clay animals. I have made some clay dolls too. I prefer books more as it explains details and its just easier to refer and improvise from. I draw my inspirations every source I can find through google and also lots of pdf tutorials I pin on my pinterest board I can share.
I started collecting  Japanese Craft Book written by Japanese Crafters and Teachers, some of my favourite artists are Mayu Sakiguchi Nunu's House (handmade miniature1/12) produced by Tomo Tanaka ミニチュア. Now some of the Japanese Craft books have been translated to Chinese prints and its easier for me to read the names of the colors and materials. Their books have clear photographs basically you do not need to be able to read Japanese to understand their techniques.

No comments:

Post a Comment